On Friday September 18, 2009, we had the opportunity to reteach our initial mini-skill lesson from the first day of EDU 255 class! For the last few class sessions, Professor Yang and our lab instructors indroduced us to the components that make up a proper lesson plan. Each day, we practiced with each individual component to become more familiar with the format. And finally, this past Friday we were able to teach a skill in a 3-5 minute lesson and try to hit each component. Once again, we were split into two groups and taught a 3-5 minute lesson on a skill using a soccer ball, a basketball, a volleyball, or a football. After a few presentations by my classmates, it was my turn to teach...
This time around, I felt more comfortable and prepared to go in front of the class and teach a quick lesson. I decided to teach how to head a soccer ball as I felt that it would be better suited for a quick skill lesson. I began with a simple hook that caught my classmates' attention and caused them to listen into what I was going to teach. I proceeded to introduced the skill and provide cues and a simple demonstration. The students broke into pairs and practiced heading the ball to one another. After provided feedback to as many students as I could, I altered the task as to challenge the students. Afterward, I brought them in and reviewed the cues and objectives of the lesson and provided a closure to get them excited about next class.
Upon watching my video and listening to the feedback provided from my lab assistants, I noticed several things that went well as well as several things that need to be worked on. One of the most apparent positives of my lesson is my body language and voice. I look very comfortable to be up there and excited to get my students involved in the activity. My voice was loud and clear and easily understandable from a distance away, making it easy to write the transcription of the segment. I provided clear rules and cues as well as a demonstration and got all students involved at the same time. When there was proficiency in the skill, I introduced a variation to challenge the students to work harder and improve their performance and tried to provide feedback to as many students as i could. Following the lecutre, I restated the objectives and checked for understanding then proceeded to hang the carrot with the activity for next class.
As much as I improved from my first teaching attempt, there were a number of things that needed to be worked on. When i completed my time coding of this lab, I noticed I spent too much time giving instruction than allowing the students to play. During the activity, I generally stayed central and observed the class rather than walking from station to station providing each student with personal feedback. Another problem was that I didn't notice one of my students leave when I turned my back! Dan walked away and I didn't even notice it. I should be more aware of who is in my class and the number I have in the beginning is the same i have throughout. These mistakes can be fixed quite easily.
Overall, I would rate this experience as a success! I improved greatly over my first attempt and can see the places in which i need improvement. I can't wait to teach once again and see if I can top this performance!
In case you could not find them in the analysis, here are the links to my documents!